Your Canarian Word 8.4:
- Round field. Eg. De niños jugábamos partidos de futbol en el terrero que estaba al lado del a iglesia. – As kids we used to play football matches in the field by the church.
- Circular terrain, adapted especially for the practice of canarian wrestling. A layer of sand is added to the earth, to avoid wrestlers from hurting themselves when they fall. Eg. Como iban perdiendo ocho a dos, tuvo que saltar al terrero el puntal para equilibrar la luchada. – Since they were losing eight to two, the leading wrestler had to come out on the terrain to balance the fight.
- The grounds ready for canarian wrestling competitions to be held. Eg. La próxima luchada se celebrará en el terrero de Tegueste. – The next wrestling competiton will be held in the Tegueste grounds.
- Dance floor. Eg. Cuando empezaba el baile el terrero se hacía chico. – When the dance started, the dance floor became small.
- A round area of land, where the produce has not yet reached the level of growth, found on the rest of the farmland.
If you wish to see earlier words and expressions of the day, or your canarian word 8.4, you can do so by going to our Words Of The Day blog category. If you are looking for something posted before 2019, you can also do so by looking in our facebook page. On the other hand, if you would rather get them directly in your inbox just click here, and you will receive a world of content, such as Spanish language videos or the most useful words and expressions to keep you hungry for more!
To find out more about our unique Spanish lessons message us. We will improve your current level, or start from the very beginning upon request. They are adapted specifically to each student’s needs, aimed to help you understand and give you the confidence to mingle with the locals.